Monday, April 12, 2010

Sexist Friends on Facebook

So, I was checking out Facebook today and I noticed something interesting. Some of my friends joined this group.

Basically, it's called, "Why do women go to college? they don't need a degree to make a sandwich".

What makes this really interesting...is that most of the friends who joined it...were women! Clearly, they have not taken this class.

This is one of those isolated incidents that to those who joined, doesn't mean anything. They see it as a joke. Of course we know that this is not the case. Each of these isolated incidents perpetuates the stereotypes and negative attitudes towards independent women.

It's just frustrating that people do not realize what this really does. In addition, they just don't realize what it says about them.

As mean as it may be to say, I am interested to see how many negative experiences people have due to their Facebooks: pictures, statuses, groups, etc. All of these may affect job opportunities in their future. If only they listened during Freshmen Orientation!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about facebook and the negative things people put out there about themselves. I am sure I have some things out there as well. I have a friend of mine who is in the process of "cleaning his facebook" because he is in the process of finding a job, and he didnt realize how many negative aspects he had out there about himself.

    ReplyDelete