Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Gleeky Madonna

So I will admit it; I am a gleek!

For those of you who don't know or are not tuning in Tuesday nights to watch it, Glee is a television show on Fox that follows a high school glee club, New Directions. The club initially consists of 6 females and 6 males. But it's sort of a "musical" style show. There are anywhere from ~4-7 songs in each hour-long episode. The songs range from pop, to rock, to rap, to hip-hop. Every kind of song has been played by numerous artists; everyone can enjoy some music in the show.

*Side note: I will admit, that there is quite a lot of drama in the show, of which I am not a fan, but the music is absolutely fantastic; it is the reason I watch the show.

But anyway, this most recent episode of Glee appropriately entitled, "The Power of Madonna" contained only Madonna songs.

The entire episode was about empowerment of everyone as well as changing perceptions and attitudes towards others.

It was, drama aside, one of the best episodes of Glee that has aired so far.

My favorite scene from this episode contained this song (this is the Glee Version, just not the clip). It was the song, "What it Feels Like For a Girl"; however, what made the song really interesting was that it was sung entirely by guys.

You can find the lyrics here.

The whole scene, though, is really a powerful scene, hopefully one that will change the perceptions of viewers surrounding masculinity and femininity.

After the song, one of the main male characters, Puck (a typical jock) started off an interesting conversation.

Puck: I'm not doing this, I like being a dude!
Finn: That's because it's easy to be a dude
Puck: Uhh, Mr. Schue, I think we're going to need a new baritone because Fine would like to become Finnessa.
Schuester: Woah wait hold on now Puck, Finn has a point.

Essentially, what Glee is doing is showing the world that it's ok for guys to be feminine and girls to be masculine, and that it's not ok for guys to objectify women (a major portion of the continued conversation).

I will say this, "The Power of Madonna" episode has only strengthened my appreciation for Madonna.

*End note - This is my last official class blog post. I do, however, intend to continue blogging. While the topics now are not as limited, I can guarantee you most of the major themes mentioned in the last 20 posts will remain a dominating presence.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! I'm a total gleek and I loved the episode! ... and it doesn't hurt that I love Madonna too :)

    ReplyDelete