Sunday, March 14, 2010

Teeny Weeny Condoms

Yet again, Feministing has supplied me with a wonderful blog topic. A Switzerland-based company is manufacturing small condoms targeted at boys from 12-14 years of age. This couldn't have come at a better time, since this next weeks discussion topic is sexuality.

I have mixed feelings on this issue.

I feel that it is important that boys this young who choose to have sex have the option of condoms that fit them and will work properly for their size.

However, I also feel that doing this encourages sex at that age. Perhaps it is hypocritical of me to say that while I would not encourage sex at that age, I find it interesting that people that young are engaging in sex and exploring their sexuality.

This article notes that the age of consent for Switzerland is 16; however, it also notes that "sex between minors is perfectly legal as long as they are not more than three years apart in age". I think that this is a very interesting law, one that America should consider adopting. I think that the laws need to change with the times; and time are changing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I want to have sex with a minor, but I feel that at age 16, I was informed enough about sex to consent.

Also, I heard that last year at my middle school a party was busted at a house of a student. What was going on? Sex, drugs, and alcohol! This is MIDDLE school, and they got busted for a sex party (along with drugs and alcohol). I also heard of (from my school) an incident where a boyfriend was caught receiving a blowjob from his girlfriend in the woods next to our school! As I said earlier, I encourage people to explore their sexuality, but not at school!

Even reading this post, I'm sure I sound very conflicted on the subject. My writing is kind of all over the place. But this is what happens after a weekend of relatively little sleep, or at least late nights.

2 comments:

  1. This topic is very interesting. I did reasearch on sex and pregnancy last summer and I recall reading that the age or consent laws are younger and I also read that middle school's are providing birth control like condoms for kids. My thoughts were the same as yours but if I had to lean towards one side I guess I would say that it encourages kids to engage in sexual activity.

    I think increasig the sex education would be a better place to start expecially in the U.S. because I know at my middle school our sex education didn't consist of much. Just a thought but as you said I guess it's better to provide condoms for the younger population if they are going to be having sex.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats pretty interesting that they're coming out with an entirely new product for young people to have sex. I agree that if they are having sex it should be safe sex and they should have access to birth control such as smaller condoms. At the same time it seems crazy that 12 year olds are having sex. When I was 12 I think sex was the last thing on my mind. But, I guess times are changing.

    ReplyDelete