Sunday, November 1, 2009

Men or Women: Look Who's Talking



A question that I've heard, even outside of this class is: Are men or women funnier? (Then the question was raised for the class: Why are there so many more male comedians and comedic actors than female comedians and comedic actors?)

To answer the first question. I
do not think that men are funnier than women or that women are funnier than men. Personally, I look at each individuals materials and analyze whether or not those are funny. If I were to look at some of my favorite comedians: Ellen Degeneres, Lewis Black, Mitch Fatel, Wanda Sykes, Mitch Hedburg, George Carlin (I could keep going) the list would probably follow a similar pattern, maybe two or three men for every woman on the list. However, I do no think that it is because they're men that they're funny, for I believe that if women did the same skit, they would be just as successful. I do not believe that there is a correlation between being a male and being funny or being a female and being funny. I think it just is one of those things, "some people are, some people are not". There are many male comedians that I just do not find funny, just as there are female comedians that lie in the same category.

Onto the second question.
Why are there so many more male comedians and comedic actors than female comedians and comedic actors?

And I feel that it
is this way because this is how it started. As the article, "Battle of the Sexes", explains; "to produce humor in conversation is to take the power role" (16). I, however, believe it is the opposite (or at least historically, has been the opposite). It is those with a power role who can produce humor. Up until the late 1980s, early 1990s, women were almost invisible in the comedic world. Males have traditionally had the power in most of the world, and therefore males were the first to be signed to be comedians. More and more females have come and risen the ranks of the comic world and are now just as, if not more famous than some of their male counterparts.

I think that more and more women are going to be entering the comic world in the upcoming years. I feel they are able to do this because one of the easiest ways to get there, is to be able to laugh at yourself and make fun of yourself (as well as others, as long as it's tasteful). And women, since they have traditionally been put down throughout history, have a lot of ways to do this. Also, women are more willing to (in my experience) bring up "taboo" topics and challenge these issues. This is seen in the interview with Julie Goldman and Kate Rigg. They talk about issues such as Racism, and how it can positively be Incorporated into a routine. They use Sarah Silverman as an example, and explained how although it was deemed racist, really, it was a rather clever way to address the issue or race.

Now, just because I like it so much, I'm going to d
irect you to a webcomic xkcd, a comic that I feel addresses gendered humor really well..

No comments:

Post a Comment